SabreCast #34: Sabres vs Senators
Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 12:03 am by Mike
Well, we ended up taking a little more time off to round out the holiday season, but we’re back with an episode covering the Sabres’ 4-2 win over the Ottawa Senators.
The Sabres won a pretty chippy contest which saw Andrew Peters get bitten, Matt Ellis score his fourth of the season (three in the last two games), and Spezza almost single-handedly nullify a Sabres three goal lead. We discuss it all in our 34th install of SabreCast.
- Craig Rivet returned to the lineup, replacing Toni Lydman who sat out due to illness.
- Matt Ellis started things off only 15 seconds into the game, scoring his fourth goal of the season, his third in the last two games. His gritty play has made a big impact of late.
- The Sabres’ top line of Vanek, Roy, and Stafford were hot-handed, each totaling two or more points in the game.
- Andrew Peters nearly cried like a baby when he was bitten (yes, bitten) by Jarko Ruutu and received the only penalty after the incident.
- Sabres goals came from Ellis (4), Stafford (9), Roy (14), and Vanek (27).
- Vanek’s empty net goal ties him for the NHL goal scoring lead with Alex Ovechkin and Jeff Carter.
- The Sabres’ tough play has helped advance the team to a three game win streak.
- Matt’s Prediction: 7-1 L (Vanek, Kotalik, Rivet)
- Mike’s Prediction: 4-3 W (Vanek, Kotalik, Butler)
- Prediction Game Results
- Matt’s Three Stars: Roy, Ellis, Spezza
- Mike’s Three Stars: Roy, Stafford, Ellis
- SabreCast Three Stars